Friday, August 13, 2010

Statement of Rides At the Door

STATEMENT OF RIDES AT THE DOOR AT THE SENATE INDIAN COMMITTEE HEARINGS HELD IN BROWNING, JULY 1929.

This reservation belongs to the Indians. It belongs to them individually by the
allotment. I want to ask you, honorable gentlemen, why I do not have the full say of
these lands and not have the other fellow have the full say of it. The white man and the outsider comes in and he has the whole say of our lands as to what is to be done with them. You realize, my belief is, and my forefather’s belief is, I raised you; the white man came and I gave him the land and I raised him in this country. Now he should give me that privilege and the full power to say something about my own affairs in my own land.
It would be a great joy to me and my people if they could have their own voice about their lands, as to the disposition of them and as to what should be done with them. Give me your support and give me my own powers to say about my own property.
Just as soon as the news came to the reservation and to me, when it reached me, there has been a new administration, new President, then I knew that we have some hopes of getting somewheres and protecting our rights. My belief is that since we have a new commissioner and administration that the Indians will get justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment